(c) Vin Callcut 2002-2017. Small extracts can be used with acknowledgements to 'Oldcopper.org' website.
Helpful comments are very welcome.
Nottingham Copper Tankards
Several copper tankards have been seen bearing the names of makers located in Nottingham. Probably most had originally been silver plated. It must have been a speciality of this area in addition to other industries and the headquarters of 'Boots The Chemists'. Pewter tankards have been seen with various Nottingham scenes such as The Council House, Wollaton Hall, Robin Hood Statue, Nottingham Castle Museum and 'Ye Old Trip To Jerusalem' Inn. More details of this speciality would be welcome.
Askew, Nottingham, a name that occurs fairly frequently on quality plated tankards.
Oldham, late Askew, 20½ Mansfield Road, Nottingham.
A, Clement, Nottingham, mark on a tankard of about 1900. More details welcome.
Hallam & Son, Peverill St., Nottingham. This mark under a silver plated copper tankard.
Fred Henry, Nottingham, mark under a copper tankard that was once silver plated, further details wanted.
The Nottingham Electro Plating Co, 93, Sherwood Street and 85a Mansfield Road, Nottingham. (K1928)
Varley, Coalpit Lane, Nottingham. Coalpit lane was where modern Lower parliament street now stands near to the Nottingham Ice Stadium.
Crest on a small souvenir jug made of brass and copper bearing the crest of Nottingham City Council.
ARMS: Gules issuant from the base a ragged Cross couped proper between two Ducal Coronets in chief Or the lower limb of the Cross enfiled with a like Coronet.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Castle walled triple-towered and capped proper the dexter tower surmounted of a Crescent Argent and the sinister tower by an Estoile Or.
SUPPORTERS: On either side standing on a Staff raguly erased a Royal Stag guardant proper ducally gorged Or. It is probable that the ragged cross simply refers to the Forest of Sherwood.
The crest is based on the present Seal of the City, which has been in use since the 15th century. In the Seal the crescent moon and the star are shown above the towers and not on them. The Royal stags and ragged staves are a further reference to Sherwood, they replace earlier supporters - two foresters with longbows - which were considered unsatisfactory.
Motto 'VIVIT POST FUNERA VIRTUS'
-Virtue survives death. Arms recorded at the Visitation of 1614. Crest granted 10th June 1898, Supporters granted 3rd November 1908 (replacing those granted 11th June 1898) and Badge granted 7th November 1911. Civic Heraldry.
Coal, wool dyeing, ceramics and brewing (Nottingham was ideal for brewing due to the large number of caves under the town), were some of the earliest industries in the town. Although by the mid 18th century Nottingham had a thriving textile industry, it was the arrival to the town in the late 1760s of James Hargreaves and later Richard Arkwright that really boosted Nottingham's cotton and lace industry.