(c) Vin Callcut 2002-2017. Small extracts can be used with acknowledgements to 'Oldcopper.org' website.
Helpful comments are very welcome.
Bilston and Battersea Enamels. Superb decorative enamelwork on copper using crafts developed in Bilston, Staffordshire and Battersea, London in the mid 18th century. The Battersea studio lasted only three years but Bilston continued until 1840. Recent reproductions made in Bilston for Halcyon Days.
'GBN' Gebrüder Bing, Nürnberg, Bavaria, Germany, founded in 1863 by Ignatz and Adolf Bing, initially making kitchen items and later becoming one of the largest toy manufacturers in Europe. They closed in 1932. The copper factory site in Nürnberg was taken over by Diehl Metall in 1938.
A similar 'GBN' mark with 'Bavaria' added underneath and the 'DRGM' mark used on items made in Germany and the 2 pint capacity mark under a spirit-warmed coffee pot. German Copperware.
Thomas Bingham, 12, New Hall Street, then 54 Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham bucklemaker and nutcracks 1770 – 1790. ‘TB’ maker's mark.
Birmingham Battery & Metal Co, copper and brass battery ware, tubes, plates and stampings. Records from 1796-1957 are in Birmingham Central Library Archives. This mark is from a souvenir spill vase made from their brass condenser tubing.
Birmingham Brass Co., Broad Street, Birmingham (c1829), stockists.
Birmingham Brass, Connecticut, USA, makers of oil lamps and their burners. See page for Birmingham Brass USA
Birmingham School of Handicrafts was started in the late 1880's at Kyre Hall with architect A S Dixon closely involved, then founded formally in 1890 with Montague Fordham as first director in Vittoria Street School for jewellers and silversmiths. It was modelled on Ashbee’s 1888 Guild and School of Handicraft. Due to commercial pressures there was a merger with E & R Gittins in 1905 which brought Llewelyn Roberts in to the organisation. In 1919 there was a further merger with Hart, Son & Pearl. See page for Birmingham Guild.
BSA Birmingham Small Arms & Metal Company, locations at Small Heath, Montgomery Street in Sparkbrook, Saltley, Redditch and Coventry Rd., makers of cycles, motor cycles and many domestic products as well as small arms and cartridges. This mark on a machined brass oiler.
BSA & M Co mark under an 1897 shell case.
Thos. Edward Bladon & Son, 4, James St., Birmingham (1886), 46, 99 & 101, Northwood Street, Hockley, Birmingham, (previously John Bladon of Constitution Hill (K1829), then William Erhard Bladen, c1905) makers of cart lamps. tinplate and blowlamps. See Lamp Makers A-R
Thomas Bland & Sons. 41, 42 & 43 Whittall Street, Birmingham. Gun manufacturer and merchants, machined brass products including oilers.
William Blews & Sons, 9,10,11-15 New Bartholomew Street, Birmingham, brassfounders established 1782, going strong 1890, but by 1900 their premises were in the name of Henry Bissecker. They made chandeliers, gas fittings, church bell and general brass foundry. This is their mark on a cast 1lb weight alongside an inspection stamp.
Thomas Guy Blood, metal worker, of Neptune Works, 27, Great Hampton Street, Birmingham on 6th November 1910, then 32-38, William Street North, Birmingham by 1914. Maker of 'Blood's Whistling Kettle'.
Bodill & Co., Ltd., Broad Street Metal Works (1886) then Bodill Parker c1899, Later reorganised as Bodill Parker (1922) Ltd., Albion Works, 33 & 36, Great Hampton Row, Birmingham, (See page for Bodill Parker.)
J & C G Bolinder, Stockholm. See Swedish Copperware page.
Boosey & Hawkes, makers of musical instruments, Hendon, London. Formed in 1930 from Thomas Boosey (1792) and Ralph Hawkes & Son. Initially music publishers, they started making wind instruments in 1851 with an instrument factory in Edgware, North London.
Samuel Booth Junior and William Tonks Breedon trading as Samuel Booth and Company, Cheapside Works, 106, 154 to 157 Cheapside, Birmingham, chandelier, gas and water fitting manufacturers. By 1900 the name of William Tonks was not used. See page for William Tonks and Sons.
Boliden, Sweden. Extruded and continuously cast alloys. They bought the McKechnie brass extrusion mill at Aldridge, Birmingham. See page for McKechnie Bros.
Thomas Bolton & Sons, manufacturer of copper and brass, initially in Birmingham, now in Cheadle, once the location of the Cheadle Brass Co., see: 'Thomas Bolton & Sons Limited, 1783-1983: the bi-centenary history of a major copper and brass manufacturer', John Morton. Moorland, 1983. Company papers from 1715 to 1932 are lodged with Birmingham Central Library.
'TB & S' mark near the knob on the lid of a kettle made while the company were in Birmingham.
Matthew Boulton, entrepreneur with James Watt in early production of steam engines. By 1800, he is listed with separate companies for buttons, plated goods, buckles, mint, medals and steam engines. Founder of the Soho Manufactory, then on the outskirts of Birmingham, also the Soho Foundry. Records from 1757-1900 (c70,000 items) are in the Birmingham Central Library Archive. His Soho House is now a commemorative museum. 'Soho Foundry'. By W. K. V. Gale, etc. [A history of the Soho Manufactory, afterwards Soho Foundry, Birmingham, occupied successively by Boulton & Watt, and by W. & T. Avery, Ltd. With illustrations., 1946.
Alexander Boyd & Son (Late Summers), 105 New Bond Street, London, W. Manufacturing Ironmongers (c1900).
Their mark appears on food warmers and spirit burners.