London Button Makers
(c) Vin Callcut 2002-2017. Small extracts can be used with acknowledgements to 'Oldcopper.org' website.
Helpful comments are very welcome.
J A & S Ltd., John Aston & Co. Eagle Button Works Summer Hill Road, Birmingham.
E. Armfield (Edward and William Armfield.) Newhall St. (1829) Armfield & Co. Ltd. 7&8 St Paul’s Square (1936) 51, Carpenter Road, Birmingham 15 (1946) 1763 to date, livery, crest and general button makers.
Buttons Ltd., Birmingham. In 1913 they had three works sites in Birmingham, Portland Street, Worstone Lane and Clissold Street making buttons, buckles and stampings. Some buttons were also made in London. Trademarks include 'Three Domes' and crossed swords. Now a division of Francis Sumner Engineering Co.
Compton & Sons, London.
Compton, Sons & Webb, 404-422 Old Ford Road E3 London and other addresses. They made equipment including cork helmets, police helmets and others under the Brand name 'Compton Corker'. (Thanks for the information to Robert Wilkinson Latham).
Davis Badge Ltd., London E 3.
Firmin & Sons Ltd. 108, 109 St. Martin’s Lane. London, 1894, also at Globe Works, Villa Street Aston, Birmingham (1677). button makersestablished 1677, 108, 109 St. Martin’s Lane. London, 1894. The company has been based in Birmingham since 1882. Their current address is 82-86 New Town Row, Birmingham B6 4HU.
Gaunt & Son, London.
Herbert & Co. London B & W S Patent.
Hobson & Son, (London) Ltd, 1, 3&5 Lexington Street, Golden Square, London W and 154 – 164 Tooley Street, London Bridge, London SE. Contractors to HM Government for uniforms and buttons.
Jennens & Co. London.
Pitt & Co., Charles. St. Martin’s Lane. London from 1875 until 1895 when they moved to Maddox St. from 1895-1973. The firm was bought by J. R. Gaunt of London in 1973, just before Gaunt itself was taken over by the Birmingham Mint.
C & J Weldon, 130, Cheapside, London. 1851 - 1910.