James Cartland and Co., JC&S
(c) Vin Callcut 2002-2017. Small extracts can be used with acknowledgements to 'Oldcopper.org' website.
Helpful comments are very welcome.
|J C & S|
James Cartland & Sons, (founded before c1823 as Dyer and Cartland in Loveday St.) Brass foundry, hardware, trivets, etc., Weaman Row, then 'Great Western Brass Foundry', 68-72, Constitution Hill, Birmingham, then 'Armoury Close Works', Little Green Lane, Bordeseley Green, Birmingham.
John Cartland, brassfounder, lived at 'The Priory' in Kings Heath, Birmingham in the early part of the 19th century. It was founded and owned and run by the Cartland family until shortly before closure, around 1955. This clear mark is under the mounting plate of a door porter curtain rail.
|This 'JCS' monogram mark under a candlestick.|
|JC&S initials just visible under a trivet.|
James Cartland trade mark on the rear of a splendid copper cased clock.
|This printed version of the mark is in an 1886 advert in 'The Ironmonger Diary and Text Book' for Patent 'Climax' door springs.|
|'Cart Land' mark inside the curvature of a cast picture hook.|
|This 'Cart Land' mark is shown as their registered trade mark in their catalogues Nos. 136 & 327 of unknown dates.|
|James Cartland & Son Ltd Armoury Close Works, Bordeseley Green, Birmingham, photo shown in the same catalogues.|