(c) Vin Callcut 2002-2017. Small extracts can be used with acknowledgements to 'Oldcopper.org' website.
Helpful comments are very welcome.
FAIB, unknown symbol and mark on copper tray.
Falk, Stadelmann & Co., Oil lamp makers Oil Lamp Makers.
Farberware, S W Farber and his brother set up shop on Manhattan's East Side in 1900 and the firm is still making cookware. The ‘Farberware’ ™ Brooklyn name introduced in 1930.
Many collectors think that Farberware and Farber Brothers are synonymous, but despite the fact that all three were brothers, there was in fact no relationship between the two companies. Farberware is still in business today. (Thanks to James Buillock).
Farrow and Jackson, Ltd., 24, Eastminster & 91, Mansell St. Aldgate, London E1, brewers engineers. 'Bernard M. Watney, Farrow & Jackson, Limited: Wine and Spirit Merchants and General Engineers'. They also had an office in Paris. A facsimile of the 1898 catalogue was printed in 1997, 187pp ISBN: 0903685582.
Fattorini - The buttonmakers, Thos Fattorini & Sons, Bradford Works, Birmingham were founded in 1827 in Lancashire. In 1915 they moved to Birmingham. By 1925 there were Fattorini and Sons Ltd. in Pitsford Street and Thomas Fattorini (Birmingham) Ltd., at 3&5 Hockley Street. Thomas Fattorini moved to Regent Street in 1930 and merged with Fattorini and Sons in 1983. see -Button and Badge Makers.
Les Cuirvres de Faucogney. Further details welcome. French Copper.
H F Fearncombe & Co, Dudley Road, Wolverhampton. 'Pontypool Works until c1861 then known as Phoenix Works therafter. The Phoenix trade mark is often seen or sometimes just 'H.F & Co. They were established in the late 1820s, initially making japanned wares of tin plate. The exhibited at the Great Exhibition of 1851 and made some items such as copper and brass jugs, water cans, trays and chambersticks to Christopher Dresser designs. They were taken over by Orme Evans in 1902 but their designs and the use of their marks continued until the early 1920s. Note that the use of a phoenix in a trade mark was popular with other firms, Joseph Nichols & Son is just one example. This mark has been double struck.
Just the H. F & Co. initials under a brass domestic hot water can.
Embossed brass maker's mark soldered to the underside of a chamberstick .
James Fellows & Son, Pool Street, Wolverhampton, founded 1865 making trays, tray blanks and hollowware. This diamond registration mark is dated 29th July 1881 and is surrounded by the maker's mark on the curved edge of a tray. (courtesy Frank Sharman).
H. Fereday & Son, 45, Holloway Road, Highbury, London. Established 1862 and still providing weighing and catering equipment under the 'Welux' and 'Caterlux' brands. Mark on a catering water boiler dated 1948, also seen on copper food warmers.. (Photo coutesey 'bluejess2006').
Festival of Britain – a ‘Britain can make it’ exhibition staged 100 years after the 1851 Great Exhibition. This mark means items are of special interest. It was found on a souvenir egg cup.
Fiddian Foundry - see James Barwell.
Firmin & Sons Ltd., Globe Works, Villa Street, Aston, Birmingham, button makers.
Fisgard This mark found on a brass paperweight with the crest of HMS Fisgard, a naval establishment for the training of engine room artificer apprentices in the Royal Navy. It was initially sited in Victorian hulks in Portsmouth Harbour 1905-31, Chatham 1932-39, Torpoint 1939-83 and Fisgard Squadron from 1983. The name is derived from a 44 gun frigate of 1,180 tons captured from the French on 9th March 1797 after taking part in an attack on Fishguard. It uses the Welsh spelling. The arm and hammer does also appear elsewhere.
Fisher Ludlow, originally Fisher and Ludlow of 29, Rea St., Birmingham, and manufacturing pressings from sheet, latterly manufactured automotive body panels. Now based in Canada.
Four Oaks Spraying Machine Co. Ltd. Belwell Lane, Four Oaks, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham. From c1900 to c1987. Garden Sprayers.
F & R Fischer, Göppingen, between Stuttgart and Ulm in Baden-Württemberg, Germany. Göppingen is on the River Fils and just downstream of Geislingen, home of WMF. It was founded in 1874 by Fritz and Robert Fischer. Most of the firm closed during the financial crisis of 1934 but some products were still being made until 1966. They produced well designed art metal hollowware and dishes bearing the distinctive twin fish mark. This one under a spirit kettle. German Copper.
Flemish Copper B.P. Co. Benedict.
A D Foulkes Brass Works Cisterns Lionel Lead Works Birmingham 1926 Engineering Handbook advert. Note the use of the sphinx logo as with J Sankey & Co.
Adolph Frankau & Co, 121, Queen Victoria Street, London, manufacturers and merchants who registered several designs during the 1880s. They may have acted for Lehman and other European makers. This mark on a decorative string pot with scissors.
W T French & Son, 23, St. Mary Street, Ladywell, Birmingham, makers of ‘Mysto’ garden sprays. First Listed in Kelly's Directory 1883 as William Thomas French, at 59 Tindal Street, Ladywood, by 1890 had moved to 23 St Mary St, Ladywood, close to Tindal Street.
1904 Kelly shows W.T. French & Son at 23 St Mary St. 1912 Kelly shows address at Johnstone St, adjoins St Mary St; 1918 Kelly shows back at St Mary St but also new address of Browning Street, Ladywood and 1930 Kelly shows address only as Mysto Works, Browning Street.
Last listing in Kelly 1966/67, not there in 1969/70 and no commercial address for Browning Street. Probably the redevelopment of Ladywood in 1960’s caused business to close. (Notes from Adrian Lanchester-Hale).