Hot Stampers Extruders
Sheet Metal Work
By Vin Callcut
(Originally published in the Journal
of the Antique Metalware Society, Vol. 18 June 2010, pp 64-79. This version
expanded with extra examples.)
PAGEREF _Toc278220483 \h 1
PAGEREF _Toc278220484 \h 5
Hot Stampers and Extruders.
PAGEREF _Toc278220486 \h 6
Sheet Metal Work.
PAGEREF _Toc278220487 \h 7
PAGEREF _Toc278220488 \h 9
PAGEREF _Toc278220489 \h 11
PAGEREF _Toc278220490 \h 15
PAGEREF _Toc278220491 \h 17
PAGEREF _Toc278220492 \h 20
PAGEREF _Toc278220493 \h 20
PAGEREF _Toc278220494 \h 20
have a great appeal to some collectors but do not seem to have been studied
and published. Some examples are selectively described here with emphasis
on items from the copper and brass industry.
Since industry was established, it has been
common for organisations to give mementos to clients and special guests so
that their own name will be remembered. These are frequently obtained from
promotional specialists who apply names and logos to existing commercial
products that can then be called ‘Commercial Souvenirs’. However, where it
was possible to make the souvenirs in house using the production equipment
within a company the gift could be much more relevant. It was essentially
typical of the products made by the company. This type of memento can be
called ‘Industrial Souvenirs’. Usually their production involved more time
and expense than buying in from specialists but the company was assured of
having unique mementoes as gifts that were well remembered. They were
frequently made specially to commemorate special anniversaries or the
introduction of new production plant. The planning and anticipation of such
events gave a good lift to employee morale and there was a very good chance
for sales and production employees to work together to a much better extent
than normal towards special design and production.
|| Souvenir key rings
made in brass for Copper Development Association. The larger one was
produced to promote the use of copper in brass c1990 when their office was
in St Albans, Herts. The solid stamping is more recent, 2010,
and has the extra cross noting the biocidal properties of copper for use in
the prevention of infections. Many other examples are shown in the
accompanying pages. For more information on the current industrial
usage of copper and its alloys see contacts.
Brass Foundry Souvenir Illustations
foundries would cast their products by pouring molten brass to solidify to
shape in sand moulds with each shape needing its own wooden pattern. Once
made and used for the first time, patterns were identified and kept in store
in the pattern loft as carefully as might be until needed again. After
being cast and knocked out of the sand, items were usually ‘fettled’ by
cutting off the runners, risers and breathers that had let the liquid metal
in uniformly and the air out accordingly and dressing the surface as
needed. Most castings then needed to me machined to some extent to ensure
that faces would mate with assembled components and were also frequently
drilled and tapped for securing screws. A decision to make a celebration
souvenir would call up top skills to supplement normal procedures.
The pattern had to be
made very carefully and finished to a perfect surface finish. The casting
surface had to be excellent on all faces so use of the finest grade of
moulding sand was essential. If wording was to be inserted in the casting,
it had to be very carefully moulded. The design usually required a
demonstration of foundry skills such that very little fettling was to be
used. If the surface finish of a souvenir was slightly defective and needed
attention it was more likely to be scrapped rather than rectified.
1228 This superb
sand cast brass reproduction of a wooden office hut is in two parts, the
base and the hut. The casting technique for the hut is intricate because of
the presence of re-entrant features that mean that it was not a simple
two-part mould. There are various ways in which this could have been made
but clues are covered by a coating of a lasting matt brass finish. The
separate base has edging representing pipes with corner bends and is secured
to the hut by two screws. The top notice board reads, in relief, ‘R T
Crane, Brass and Bell Foundry’ and the base has an impression reading ‘1855
Crane Co 1925’.
7026 On a similar
but simpler theme is this cast brass souvenir from the 1938 Empire
Exhibition held in Glasgow. It is well made a replica of the Post Office
House in Clachan, North Uist, Scotland by a skilled founder. It appears to
be a one-piece casting with an open interior showing a central vertical
mould parting line. The ends are left well fettled and smooth. Height
approx 44mm (1¾”).
1209 A paperweight
commemorating 'Industrial Outing 1939' in the form of a dog of spaniel-like
appearance screwed to a rectangular base with iron weighting and a green
baize under-surface. Intriguingly, there is no mention of the name of the
industry, hopefully it can be recognised? American, 58 x 50 x 67mm high.
782 A striking
central bird motif showing a jay in the centre of a cast brass ashtray was
perhaps an obvious but excellent choice made by brassfounders L. C. Jay and
Son Ltd., still working in Oak Street, Norwich. It is 125mm (5”) square.
3330 & 7899
Besides a high level of foundry craftsmanship, these two ashtrays carry a
style of humour that was much appreciated in the masculine environment of
foundries. The complex design of the oval dish features a lady on a ladder
picking apples from within a mature fruit tree. Unfortunately her skirt is
somehow caught on the ladder. The viewer is thus encouraged to turn the
dish over and read the message. The centre support pillar contains a rear
view that was intended to be risqué in those days. Round the periphery can
just be read the name ‘Cox & Co., Birmingham’ and ‘This casting is just as
it leaves the sand’. The site of a pouring gate can be seen on the major
axis of the oval at the top of the dish which measures 130 x 90mm and weighs
about 440g. It is of a late Victorian design.
7899 The Autumnal design of
the rectangular tray shows a female gardener wearing a headscarf and
navigating a pile of leaves with her wheelbarrow forming a high relief
foreground together with its handles, a spade and hazel broom. In the
background is a tree and a post carrying the message ‘Rubbish can be shot
here’. The bottom of the tray has a decorative scroll. The underside of
the tray has a smooth finish and cast-in lettering that is vastly better
than that of the oval example. On the four sides it reads ‘Cox & Co.
Birmingham’ ‘Leopold Foundry. Brass & Gun Metal Castings’ ‘Est. 1869.
Motor Castings a speciality’, ‘This casting is just as it leaves the sand.’
The centre pillar again includes a risqué design. The tray is approximately
150x105mm (6 x 4”), weighs a fairly hefty 900g (2lb) and has a gilt lacquer
4761 A pair of
bookends specially cast by Bridgeport Brass Co for presentation to employees
completing 25 Years Service. The symbolic part of the design includes an
hour glass between a pair of wings, illustrating well how time flies when
working for a good employer. The bookends have a tapered design that makes
them ideal for their purpose in addition to being easy to strip from a
mould. Each has a cartouche for the name of the recipient, blank for this
pair so perhaps they are from old, non-presented stock. The surface finish
is excellent. For this short run of high quality production the use of
‘permanent’ metal moulds and the gravity die casting method would have been
ideal. Underneath each end is a slight depression caused by metal
contracting on solidification and showing that they were cast, as to be
expected, upside down. Each has a height of about 150mm (6") but the
weights are slightly different at 1,655 and 1,685g (3lb 10½ oz and 3lb 11½
oz) which is not surprising.
The company was
incorporated in 1865 in Bridgeport, Conn.,
USA to make clock movements and expanded to cast, roll and draw their own
copper and brass and manufacture copper- and brass-wares including 'Rochester'
oil lamps, burners, electric lamps, fasteners and similar items with a
labour force of up to 800. They adopted the motto 'From ingot to finished
product'. They were bought out by Olin Brass of
East Alton, Illinois, USA and the site closed in
6662 Well decorated
conventional Victorian desk paperweight by W. R. Leggott of Bradford, Leeds,
Manchester and London, brassfounders and fabricators, makers of locks and
openers. Length 110mm (4¼").
731 & 2791 One
of these well-cast hexagonal brass ashtrays has a
sharply-defined design that shows a blacksmith swinging his hammer towards
an anvil on which is a workpiece that is shown as red hot by the radiation
over it. To right seems to be a cut-off saw. Underneath is the legend
and over it ‘Super Materiam Ignis Triumphans’ which can perhaps be
translated as ‘Fire succeeds over material’. The underside shows a die-cast
finish with raised lettering ‘Made in England’. Another version is also
approximately 160mm (6¼”) across flats and has a similar but less well
defined design but with ‘1888-1938’ in the exergue instead. The appearance
of the underside of this one confirms that this item was cast in sand
instead of die-cast and is unexpectedly marked ‘Made in Holland’ rather than
England. There is no company name evident on either item but the theme is
obviously metallurgical. From a similar design eventually found on a
‘Zippo’ lighter it became apparent that this design of souvenir came not
from a brassfoundry was made for distribution by J. K. Smit and Sons who
still specialise in providing industrial diamonds and diamond tipped cutting
tools. They had and still have premises in Amsterdam, London and New York.
1175 999 3221 A
promotional ash tray in the late Hagenauer style of Walter Bosse but made in
USA by the Keeler Brass Co., Middleville, Mich. It is rectangular, 95 x 83
mm and sits nicely on four cast feet with a weight of 190g. Other
promotional items that they made included a detailed lizard and a bottle
opener. All are well marked with the company name.
5030 and 1970
Virginia Metalcrafters Advertising Display polished letters which read:
"Sand Cast, Hand Finished by Virginia Metalcrafters" It measures
approximately 200mm (8") long. Also Cast brass ashtray, a souvenir from the
historical re-creation of the town of Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia
having the 'Governors’ Palace' in the centre. The excellent quality sand
casting is unfettled and has a good finish on the top face but the underside
is fully machined and stamped 'Korea'. Diameter 115mm (4 1/2"), weight
The historic district of
Colonial Williamsburg includes many of the buildings from 1699 to 1780 that
formed the capital of the State of Virginia. It has the excellent motto
‘that the future may learn from the past’. Part of the merchandising policy
is the sale of museum-quality reproductions including domestic brassware.
Originally these were locally sourced but are now procured according to
and other sources]
6891 A promotional
cast brass trinket tray with a harvest wheat theme in the form of a basket
with handles and stalks of wheat. The surface detail and quality is
excellent and the size 131x 105mm, it stands on three legs and weighs a
reasonable 270g (9½ oz). The underside has cast-in wording 'With the
compliments of E.J. Smith & Co., Tyseley Metal Works, Birmingham.
(Check - Edwin Smith,
2, Heneage Street in 1903, Birmingham city centre, not present by 1946).
7852 The brass
foundry scene on this souvenir belt buckle was designed and produced around
1980. It is marked on the rear by Anacortes Brass Works Foundry 2000 R Ave., Anacortes, WA 98221,
9589 A foundry scene on a souvenir
paper knife with the text 'World Famous Ingots' but no name of the maker.
(Thanks to Roderick Butler)
Brass Foundry Souvenir Illustrations
Brass Maker Souvenir Illustrations
5076 6034 A
pair of cuff links and a diecast brass key ring showing the Swedish crown
and the founding date of 1607 for Skultuna, a name that is still in use for
2676 Many unusual or
miniature items have been called ‘apprentice pieces’ for want of a better
description but this pair of bookends have an undeniable provenance as test
pieces. Manufacture of this type of component calls up knowledge of gear
cutting and other skills needed by the US Navy in a repair shop. Each is
made from two parts. There is a fully machined gear section mounted on a
toothed rack milled from brass bar stock. The left side is neatly engraved:
‘Machinery Repairman School USNJC San Diego 33, California’ and the other:
‘Edward J. Harner M.R. Class No. 16-58’ and both are well finished with
pride. Each is 120mm (4¾”) long and weighs nearly 770g (1lb 11oz).
promotional penholder made from extruded brass rod of hexagon section cut
diagonally from 50mm (2") across flats, and polished. Boliden makers mark
'B' and 'F' either side of rod in a circle. 90mm x 50mm. 390g. (Metallwerken,
brass anvil inscribed 'To Forge our Friendship, Luther R Doebler Wolverine
2406 Pestle and
mortar. An international copper standards meeting was held in the works of
Hutmen Brass Works in Wrotslav, Poland in 1977. During his welcoming
address before the meeting the company chairman gave each delegate a pestle
and mortar, saying ‘If you find that you cannot agree on something, put the
different ideas in the mortar, grind them together and then pour out the
MUELLER BRASS ANVIL, PORT HURON, MICHIGAN. The company was
incorporated in 1917 in Port Huron, Michigan and is
still providing plumbing supplies, extruded brassware and a variety of other
paperweight. American Metal Products Co was founded in 1914 by August
Littman who developed an extra-hard copper-aluminium alloy, aluminium
bronze. Since then they have specialised in meeting demands for high
strength, low magnetic susceptibility, spark-resistance and electrical
conductivity. The paperweight is a miniature of a heavy duty bearing and is
marked 'Ampco 18-136'.
Brass Maker Souvenir Illustrations
Souvenirs from hot stampers and extruders
3044 Unusual brass
model of a first world war tank made c1922 as a paper weight mainly
promoting the ‘Tank Brass’ made by McKechnie Bros. Ltd. who made many
varieties of brass and had a good speciality in anti-friction bearing
metals. Idle moments at the owner’s office desk might be spent reading
their comprehensive overkill of messages: ‘Specify Tank Brand’ ‘McKechnie
brothers Ltd Birmingham England’, ‘Non-ferrous ingot metals, phosphor
copper, chill cast phosphor bronze bars’ ‘Extruded brass and copper rods,
bars and sections, solid brass & bronze pressings’ and even underneath ‘This
is one of our solid brass pressings’, ‘and at London, Manchester, Leeds,
Newcastle-on-Tyne – Metal refining works Widnes. They must have used an
expensive four-draw mould to obtain the detail on each face. It is 80mm
(1?”) long and weighs 650g (1lb 7oz). The company moved out of Birmingham
to Aldridge, Walsall and became McKechnie metals.
2418 A later
souvenir from the same company is this desk penholder by McKechnie Metals,
Aldridge, celebrating the opening of their fourth extrusion press, c1988
that had the power to produce large special shapes. A special die had been
cut with the 'Mc' initials as the design included in a rectangular extrusion
approximately 60 x 40mm (c2¼ x 1½”) with a superb surface finish. The die
was used only the once and each section was cut to length on an angle and
polished to form a very acceptable desk pen holder.
5300 A lucky
horseshoe in the form of a promotional hot brass pressing by Robinsons of
Liverpool. There was a Joseph Robinson established as a brass founder in
Upper Pitt Street, Liverpool by 1832 but a more likely company issuing this
might have been the telegraph engineers, A Robinson & Co who made many
engine room telegraphs of brass in the 20th century.
The search will continue. Size 95 x 76mm (3¾ x 3”).
This was not meant to be a tube. It
is an educational item from the ‘black museum’ of Aston Chain & Hook Co.
Ltd., Erdington, latterly an extrusion plant of Delta Drawn Metals. It
shows the back end of a square section copper alloy extrusion cut and opened
to show the 'back end defect' that must always be removed to leave just
sound rod for further drawing. This type of souvenir is invaluable as an
example that is better than a thousand words. Unfortunately it tends to
loose perceived value completely when generations move on in industry and
may end up being recycled with other scrap instead of preserved with its
history. The section was 31mm (1¼”) square.
5187 Hot stamped
paperweight block featuring Revere Copper and Brass Products. The top has a
relief design celebrating the famous midnight ride of Paul Revere in 1775, well celebrated by Longfellow amongst
others. From being an excellent silversmith,
Revere expanded his industrial interests
tremendously and many products are still marketed under his name. Size 80 x
52mm (3⅛ x 2”).
brass ashtray hot pressed from Delta Bronze No IV, by The
Delta Metal Co., a rare souvenir of a
material in widespread use from the 1920's, 97mm (4”) diameter.
2419 Paperweight by
Leslie & Co celebrating modernisation in 1994. Leslie & Co. (Coventry)
Ltd 202 Waterloo Rd, Birmingham. West Midlands. B25 8LD
3661 Copper on
brass dish in shape of oak leaf with ‘Guests Brass Stamping Co., Selly Oak’
marked on the underside. They are now at 112-117 Charles Henry Street,
Digbeth, Birmingham B12 0SJ
Souvenirs from hot stampers and extruders
Souvenirs from sheet metal workers
4932 A raised
electrotype copper relief picture framed in wood with a caption at the
bottom reading: 'Compliments of Portland Electrotype & Stereotype Co.' who
were at 42 N. Ninth Street, Portland, Oregon. This was probably a Christmas
giveaway to clients of this company sometime between 1900 and 1910 although
the company lasted until after 1927. The illustration is a 19th Century
scene of a mother working over the fireplace hearth, with one child awaiting
his food and the other on Papa's knee. The detail is excellent and the
copper has a rich golden brown patina under original lacquer during its
hundred years of life. The plaque is 130 x 100mm (5 x 4”) and is in a frame
that has seen life, being is no longer sealed on the back.
8893 Brass wire
gauge issued by Aston Chain & Hook, Erdington, Birmingham. There is a wire
gauge on one side reading in Imperial inch decimals and Standard Wire Gauge
and on the other side a ready reckoner giving a cost conversion from pence
per pound to pounds per hundredweight and pounds per ton on the other. It is
made from four different thin sheets of copper and brass with the top two on
each side rotatable to give the relevant readings in the windows and
measures 55mm (2¼”) in diameter.
9110 Ladle, dish and
circular tray made in copper and boldly marked by Soho Foundry, Ballarat,
Australia. These were made by two brothers who restarted a near derelict
factory in 1972 using all the old belt driven machinery that had originally
been obtained from the Soho works in Birmingham. The operation closed down
in 1980, when one of the brothers died it was taken over by the State
government as a museum. The ladle is 195mm (7¾") long, dish is 140mm (5½")
promoting E. Thomason’s Manufactory, Birmingham. This is an early 19th century
circular brass box with traces of gilding. The inside of the box has a very
clear raised image of a fine large Georgian house with a central Greek
pediment. Below that is the legend - also in tiny raised letters - 'E.
Thomason's Manufactory Birmingham'. Because of the fine stamped brass open
work of the lid it is possible that this was a box for smelling salts.
Thomason was a commercial rival and outspoken critic of Matthew Boulton. In
the 1835 Wrighton Directory he is described as Sir Edward Thomason,
jeweller, silversmith, glass cutter, plater and manufacturer of plated wares
in Church Street. He had another address at 20, Colmore Row. By 1867 there
is no sign of the factory in a Church Street nor his office, which was then
a bank at 20, Colmore Row.
2990 6347 6425 These
are the three designs of tea caddy that were made by Samuel Heath & Son as
'Lipton's Souvenir Tea Caddies' at times during the British Empire
Exhibition of 1924, 5 & part of 1926. The three different designs carry
design registration numbers that were allocated to Samuel Heath & Sons and
also have ‘Liptons’ underneath. Each shows the symbolic Exhibition lion
design is raised from the body and the lid has a well proportioned knop.
The caddies were made of very thin brass
put to good use so it is now unusual to find one without a few dents.
Samuel Heath and Sons Limited have been
brassfounders in Birmingham since before 1820 when they made brass bedsteads
and candlesticks. The company was floated on the Birmingham & West Midland
Stock Exchange in 1890. The family run firm have produced a wide variety of
products over the years including candle snuffers, bedsteads, coffin
furniture, locks & builders brassfoundry. In the early days of the
Birmingham motor industry they made motor lamps for coachbuilt car bodies.
They have occupied their premises at Cobden Works in Leopold Street,
Birmingham since the 1860’s.
The height of the one shaped like an inverted pear is 135mm (5½"), weight
9155 Copper button
badge with relief of the 'ankh' symbol for copper that was produced for a
meeting of the Polish Copper Institute in 1985. When allocating symbols to
each of the metals that they knew, Greek philosophers adopted the ankh for
copper as the Egyptian hieroglyph for ‘eternal life’. Diameter 10mm (3/8").
5539 Bead Chain
Manufacturing Company Copper PAPERWEIGHT
6020 Beacon display
of curtain rail fittings.
ASHTRAY Art Nouveau Copper Nickel Done in an Art Nouveau Style ... "
Compliments of ATERITE COMPANY INC N.E.COR JOHN & WILLIAM STREETS NEW YORK
CITY " on surface ........ATERITE is a rare alloy of Copper & Nickel. My
guess is 1910-1930..Very nice patina,nickley..........Measures 6 inches at
widest, tapers to 5 at some points . .......Has a great tooled style to it ,
with Fantastic geometric patterns ....BACK IMPRESSED WITH MARK of SD CHILDS
& CO. CHICAGO.
7003 The round
dished pin tray is made of good quality brass, with a milled rim and a
central pressed/stamped boss which reads " COX WILCOX & CO. BIRMINGHAM SMALL
SPIRIT LAMPS & STOVES" with an oil lamp to the middle against a
cross-hatched ground.A nice interesting advertising item!! It measures 4"
diameter and just under 1/2" high. There is no mark as to manufacturer but I
suspect it was made in Birmingham and dates from c.1900/10. 19th/20th
Century Brass Advertising Pin Tray. Cox Wilcox & Co. Birmingham-Lampmakers/Retailers.
Cox,Wilcox & Co., Ten Acre Works 1117 Pershore Road, Stirchley West
Midlands B30 2YL Tel: 0121 472 1250 the scene above, this shot shows a
view from the northern end of Stirchley looking towards Selly Park. The
narrow section of Pershore Road cuts through an area known as Ten Acres.
This was the home of Cox, Wilcox & Co. Ltd and I was delighted when a
housing development in the area retained the frontage of the works
building. The yellow and red sign on the bicycle shop says, "Ride a Norman
Nippy Moped - British Built". Underneath, S.R.Pountney offers a way to
finance the purchase, "Hire Purchase Arranged". [http://www.photobydjnorton.com/BirminghamInColour.html
souvenir cymbal celebrating 90 years of manufacturing from 1895-1985 and
made from a sonorous alloy made within the Swissmetal Group. In 1855, a
rolling mill and foundry, Bueche, Boillat & Cie., was founded in Reconvilier
in the Bernese Jura. This company changed its name several times before the
formation of Swissmetal: from 1960 it was called Boillat S.A. The first
plant in Dornach was also a rolling mill and foundry operated under the name
Schweizerische Metallwerke AG Dornach. The Selve rolling mills in Thun were
in the group until closed in 1991. Busch-Jaeger Metallwerk GmbH, Lüdenscheid.
Germany is another group member. Initially set up to meet the exacting
needs of the Swiss watch industry, it now produces precision copper-alloy
forms and profiles for the semiconductor electronics industry.
Rolling Mills Ltd (ERM) Laboratory
Dinner Dance Ticket, Firs Hall, Green Lane, Edmonton 20th December 1967.
These tickets were etched from 'engraving copper'. This was a
silver-bearing copper with fine grain size rolled to close tolerances and
good surface finish for use in the printing industry. Unusually, when the
manager of the Rolling Mills was invited to pay for his tickets he was
reluctant to pay good money to buy back his own copper!
Rolling Mills (DERM) banding clip
Illustrations - Souvenirs from sheet metal workers
Souvenirs from tube manufacturers
6562 This stylish
late Victorian inkstand was obviously intended for use on the desk of senior
management. It was commissioned by Muntz’s Metal Company from a
manufacturing jeweller who was required to celebrate the long life of the
boiler tubes made by the Company. The centrepiece is an engraved copper
tube into which are fitted three copper inkwells with decorated caps.
Endplates are used to mount it to the rear of a richly engraved baseplate to
which is also fitted a pair of pen rests. The whole is mounted on four feet
also made from copper tube.
The inscription reads:
‘This ink-stand is entirely made from a specially hardened copper locomotive
tube, one of a set which ran 480,000 miles between the years 1879 and 1898.
Muntz's Metal Company Limited, French Walls Works, Birmingham England’.
The main tube and four
supporting feet are made of copper tube 78mm (1?") dia. The copper base is
a 190 x 140mm (7½ x 5½") copper plate with chamfered edges and art nouveau
decoration. Apparently there is a silvered version of this piece in
Greenwich Museum. A maker’s note on the base reads: ‘Makers E. Camelinat &
Co., amalgamated with Thos & J S Turner Ltd,
Fisher Street, Birmingham, England’.
The original patent for
60/40 brass in the form of Muntz Metal had been taken out in 1832 and it had
proved very cost-effective for the sheathing of ships. Each sheet had to
have the Muntz stamp for gauge and manufacturer. Stocks of sheet bearing
the Muntz stamp were exported and held in ports round the world. Some
domestic items of Indian design and manufacture and bearing their stamp have
appeared. By the end of the century when the inkstand was made the Muntz
family was heavily involved in public work. George Muntz was the first MP
for Birmingham in 1840.
5315, 6237, 8013, 8222
(x2) A more common promotional
item is their ashtray which can be found made of copper sheet or a 70/30
brass that Muntz knew as ‘Nergandin’. These are marked with an
interesting mixture of English and other characters. These promotional dishes made by Muntz’s Metal Company, French Walls,
Birmingham. The centre shows Neptune with a stylised trident admiring a
three masted ship that presumably has a hull clad with Muntz Metal. All this
surrounded by ‘Muntz's Patent’ and an outer ring of Asian hyroglyphics and
the word "Soft". Size 108mm (4.25”) maximum diameter.
Outside the central design is the legend
‘MUNTZ’S METAL Co. Ltd. FRENCH WALLS NEAR BIRMINGHAM’. The centre shows
Neptune with a stylised trident admiring a three masted ship that presumably
has a hull protectively clad with copper or Muntz’s Metal (60/40 brass).
All this is surrounded by ‘MUNTZ’S PATENT’ and an outer ring of Asian
hieroglyphics and the word ‘SOFT’. Diameter 108mm max.
The Muntz Metal Company was bought by
IMI (Imperial Metal Industries, later IMI Metals Division) and the records
of their works in Walsall and plate mill in South Wales are in Birmingham
3304 Fireside flatback or mantleback ornaments in the form of a pair of shoes cut from
copper plate and mounted on half section of 2" diameter copper tube. They
have whitemetal buttons. Both the tube and plate are thicker than usual for
flatbacks with the unseen sides showing obvious signs of prior use and
pitting corrosion. The copper tube is heavily blackened as is typical of
old locomotive boiler tubes. These items were favourite topics amongst the
'foreigners' made from scrap metal during workshop lunchbreaks. They show
much more ingenuity than the cribbage boards more often made during spare
time. This type of item was made secretly at work and then presented as a
love token. No doubt the wife or girlfriend was very impressed! Length
157mm (6?"). Height 90mm (3½").
5140 A trinket dish
by The Broughton Copper Co. Ltd. Salford, Manchester that shows the
tremendous ductility of their product. It has been made from copper
condenser tube approximately 50mm (2") diameter by folding the lower part in
a concertina shape and flanging out the top section. The base is carefully
closed by folding in the tube side.
maker’s name is stamped under examples seen but could not be stamped in hard
enough when made show clearly for fear of the impact collapsing the tube
still further. The Company was taken over by ICI
Metals sometime before 1937 and then formed part of Yorkshire Imperial
Metals. Records for the Company between 1881-1944 are at Birmingham City
Archives Works. Scovill made a similar item, see 4192.
Candleholder made from cup drawn admiralty condenser tubing by Scovill,
Waterbury, CT USA. Height 55mm (2¼”). The Scovill
Manufacturing. Co. was founded in 1802 in Waterbury, Connecticut and in 1850
was incorporated as Scovill Manufacturing Company. In the early years they
produced brass buttons, sewing hardware, cameras, printing plates, oil and
electric lamps, fasteners and other brass and copper items.
At its peak during the 1940s, 10,000 people
worked at the factory, later sold to Century Brass. Also in Waterbury were
the main works of Anaconda American Brass and Chase Brass & Copper Co.
748 Good quality
stamped copper promotional ash tray - The Builders Copper Tube Co, Temple
Bar, London, Centre logo of feather encircled by copper tube. 125mm dia.
1258 Boulder Copper
paperweight showing copper segments formed to make a spiral tube that was
used for the sheathing of power cables carrying current from the Boulder Dam
hydro-electric power station.
It was distributed by the
Boulder Dam Visitors' Bureau and was manufactured by General Cable
Corporation. The copper was originally supplied by Anaconda Copper
but this may be made from a leftover section of copper high voltage
transmission cable that was used in building the dam. The city of Los
Angeles Department of Water and Power oversaw the operation which was built
during the late 1920s depression years and has been officially called the
‘Hoover Dam’ since 1947. This section measures approx. 1.5" in diameter and
stands about 2" tall.
triple message promotional paperweight showing early vertical integration
with ‘Anaconda Roofing Copper’ and ‘Anaconda Copper Pipe’ engraved on a base
plate either side of a copper pipe bearing its own, slightly battered
message: ‘Anaconda from Mine to Consumer’ Length 110mm (4½").
The development and growth of Anaconda
American has been the subject of several good books. It involves ‘Copper
Kings’ of the industry including the prospectors and miners in Montana and
the financiers of Wall Street in a story that is as interesting as many
works of fiction
An elegant copper promotional paperweight by Revere Copper and Brass
Products, a penholder or candleholder made by deep
drawing with four diameters with conical transitions and a rolled edge to
the top. The base is rolled in place and clearly marked 'Revere'. Height
Illustrations - Souvenirs from tube manufacturers
convert ore with a high mineral content to pure copper in forms that can be
bundled in 25 ton lots and sent anywhere for trade or use in the production
of copper and copper alloy products. In good times they may make more money
than the foundries and fabricators so can afford to produce interesting
items as promotional gifts. All refineries work
to similar agreed standards of purity to satisfy the trading requirements of
the London and American Metal Exchanges. Nevertheless they have a great
pride in the quality and reputation of their own brand and the extent to
which its purity is better than standard.
Refineries have their own three-letter
brand abbreviations to identity their copper and these are often
incorporated in their gifts. It has to be said though that unless you
know and admire the products normally made, you might not think that
refinery souvenirs are the best choice for mantelpiece display.
However, they were some of the most difficult to make when refineries used
traditional extraction processes and are much less common now that
production methods have become more integrated and environmentally friendly
so should be treasured.
1830 Bingham Canyon
souvenir pin tray showing typical scenes including the mine, a loader, an
electric mine locomotive, two miners with an early pneumatic drill and the
old town. Interestingly, the tray looks as though it is made as an
electroform, a similar process to the electrolytic refining method used to
produce their cathodes. However a gentle scrape reveals that it is copper
plated zinc sheet. Some of these are marked on the back 'Made in Japan'.
Height 115mm (4 1/2"). Weight 85g.
1395 Two copper
refinery ashtrays that come from the Morenci, Arizona smelter that was
closed many years ago. Originally these were made and given to special
guests as gifts. The red colour is typical of the oxide on cast copper. The
heart shape is 70mm (2¾") square and the Arizona state shape says ‘Morenci ARIZ’ in the bottom. It measures
75 x 83mm (3 x 3¼").
3561 A copper tray
found in a spoil dump next to a mine at Jerome, Arizona. Most of the mines
in Arizona tried casting souvenirs at some time. Some had no embossing but
this reads ‘UVX’, the original name for the United Verde Extension and
Jerome Arizona mine, before it was renamed ‘Jerome Arizona’. The mine was
established in 1883 and closed in 1935. This was very crudely made and is a
good example of just how gassy a copper casting can be! It is not
surprising that it was scrapped. It measures, 150 x 60 x 20mm (3 x 2¼ x
¾"). The inside is dark, and the back is the red colour of cast copper.
Weight 130g (4.7oz).
3674 Anaconda Pocket
Perpetual Calendar by The American Brass Company. It is 38mm (1½") square
and covers the years 1950 to 1977
3680 Anaconda The
American Brass Co paperweight in the form of the company arrow logo on a
base. The item is an excellent quality two-part casting made at the
refinery in high conductivity copper and shows no signs of porosity or other
significant casting defects. The surface finish is as-cast copper oxide.
On the base is the lettering 'From mine to Consumer' and to it riveted the
arrow head and part shaft, lettered 'Anaconda' on both sides. Anaconda
Copper Mining Company (ACM, until 1915 known as the Amalgamated Copper
Mining Company), one of the largest trusts of the early 20th century, owned
all the mines on Butte Hill, Montana, USA. In 1922 they bought the
American Brass Company. The Anaconda Company was purchased by
Atlantic Richfield Company (ARCO) on January 12th 1977.
85mm, weight 360g.
3758 A strictly
functional ashtray cast at Enfield Copper Refiners in high conductivity
copper and still showing the as-cast purple oxide finish. These were
specially cast as souvenirs for guests at an open day in 1969. The
underside is covered with a protective green baize. With a wall thickness
around 5mm (5/16”), it is not surprising that it weighs a heafty 860g (1lb
6902 A sample of electrolytically refined copper neatly cropped from a cathode of 99.95+%
pure metal. The ore was mined at Mufulera and smelted at Ndola Refinery
owned by the Rhodesian Selection Trust (RST International Metals) in what
was then Northern Rhodesia c1965. The nodules were entirely typical at that
time but process improvements have resulted in smoother cathodes being
produced now. Length 160mm (6¼") Weight 1kg, cut from a cathode
6903 Miniature anode
cast as a gift for special visitors to Ndola Copper Refinery in Zambia
c1981. From the fire refining stage of the purification of copper anodes
are cast in roughly square shape with ears at two corners to enable them to
be hung between the cathodes in an electrolytic refining tank. This has a
width, without the ears of 73mm (2⅞") and a weight of 600g whereas
production anodes would be about 1,000mm square and weigh about 100kg.
7069 When the
fire-refining of copper was the main process it was usual to cast it to the
form of wirebars for subsequent hot rolling and cold drawing to wire. This
souvenir was made for invited guests at the commissioning of the new
Southwire continuous copper wire rod plant on the 17th October 1974 at
Enfield Rolling Mills, Middlesex. Copper cathodes were then melted in a
shaft furnace and continuously poured to give the smaller cast shape shown
which was then immediately rolled on to the 6mm diameter size of the top
coil. The base is marked on the sides 'First SCR Coil’.
Below right is a section from a wirebar and a miniature
souvenir gift made for a previous occasion. Wirebars could be 60-225kg in
weight, typically 100-125kg and could only be rolled into rod of that size
pieceweight before joining for subsequent wiredrawing. The continuous
process avoided these joints that gave potential breaks later.
9149 A ‘Black
Museum' item from Enfield Copper Refiners, Middlesex. This is a section of
a sample taken from a 180ton open hearth refinery furnace before it was
ready for pouring. The 'gassiness' of the copper showed that it needed
further 'poling' by having the melt stirred with long poles made of damp,
green wood that bubbled fiercely under the copper and removed excess
hydrogen. Normally the refinery foreman would not have needed to section
the sample - just feel the weight in his hand to check that it was solid
copper. This type of souvenir was invaluable as an example that is better
than a thousand words. With the demise of the process and when generations
move on in the industry it unfortunately tends to loose perceived value
completely and may end up being recycled with other scrap instead of
preserved with its history. Length 125mm (5”), diameter 44mm (1 ¾”).
COMPANY COPPER PAPERWEIGHT This is a round copper paperweight from the
Anaconda Company. It has BUTTE stamped on the top of it. Base diameter
approx. 2"; about 1" high. In 1899, Marcus Daly merged with Rockefeller's
Standard Oil Company to create the Amalgamated Copper Mining Co. In 1910,
the company changed its name to the Anaconda Copper Mining Company, after it
bought up many smaller companies. The original mines at Butte, Montana are
now a pit over a mile long, nearly a mile wide and
1800 feet deep. Mining ceased
here in 1982 but the company owned many others world wide. Since 1977 it
has been a subsidiary of Atlantic Richfield Company (ARCO).
Company Arrowhead Paperweight. Anaconda Brass started as J.F. Brown’s
Copper & Brass Rolling Mills, in 1919, located on Birmingham Street, New
Toronto, Ontario. Anaconda acquired the mills soon after in 1922. In its
last few years of operations, it was Arrowhead Metals. The plant closed its
doors for good in 1989.
Copper Mine Arrowhead Key Chain Fob
5998 Copper ashtray
machined from wirebar section in 1964 from the Mufulera (MCM) mine, Northern
Rhodesia, now Zambia since 1964.
Co. promotional paper weight in the shape of an ingot. Length 74mm (c3").
Utah version began on June 4, 1903 when the original Utah Copper Company (UCC)
was created to mine and process low grade copper ore found in a mountain in
Bingham Canyon, about 25 miles southwest of Salt Lake City. Steam shovels
began working on the mountain in 1906. For the next 100 years, shovels,
trains and trucks converted that mountain into the world famous Bingham
Canyon Mine, a huge open pit copper mine that is more than three-quarters of
a mile deep and more than 2 3/4 miles wide across the top and still
growing. In 1915, Kennecott Mines became Kennecott Copper Corporation,
which purchased a 25 percent interest in the Utah Copper Company and
acquired all assets and property in 1936 forming Kennecott Utah Copper (KUC).
In 1947, Utah Copper Company was dissolved and became the Utah Copper
Division of Kennecott Copper Corporation. In 1981, Standard Oil of Ohio (SOHIO)
purchased Kennecott, and in 1987 British Petroleum bought SOHIO’s interests.
In 1989, RTZ Corporation, now known as Rio Tinto, became the owner of
Kennecott Utah Copper Corporation.
7073 3 souvenir
small copper wirebars made by Enfield Copper Refiners during the 1960s while
they were still casting wirebar copper for rolling to copper rod. The top
of the casting is fully convex which is typical of a good tough pitch
copper. Length 140mm (5 1/2") Weight 200g (7oz) each.
9124 Tie Pin from
Metal Marketing Corporation (MEMACO) of Zambia, now owned by Zambia
Consolidated Copper Mines Ltd (ZCCM)
9142 Section of
wirebar from Enfield Copper Refiners. Originally it was polished, etched to
show the grain structure as cast and then lacquered. Over forty years the
etching has been slightly obscured by tarnishing under the lacquer.
4285 Copper ashtray
from IMI Refiners, December 1985 575g 'This copper ashtray is a memento of
your visit to IMI Refiners. It has been made from a slice of 92mm diameter DHP copper billet cast on our horizontal casting machine. The cast surface
is typical of our horizontal product showing the witness of the oscillation
of the mould. The underside of the ashtray has been etched to show the cast
structure and the centrality of freezing.'
ash tray made for British Copper Manufacturers Ltd. 140mm dia. The company
was formed in 1924 by the amalgamation of the two major copper smelting
firms in Swansea, Messrs. Vivian and Sons; and Messrs. Williams Foster and
Company and Pascoe Grenfell and Sons Limited. Messrs Vivian and Sons had
been founded by John Vivian, a Cornish mine owner in the early nineteenth
century. Messrs. Williams Foster and Company and Pascoe Grenfell and Sons
Limited had been formed out of two Swansea firms, Messrs. Pascoe Grenfell
and Sons and Messrs. Williams, Foster and Company in c1892. BCM was taken
over in 1927 by ICI Ltd and Yorkshire Metals to form Yorkshire Imperial
Metals Ltd. which included other factories in Yorkshire and Lancashire.
Illustrations - Souvenirs
Some souvenirs from other industries
701 Arts and
Crafts ashtray very well made in Birmingham Handicrafts College with logo in
centre. 120mm diameter, 10mm lip, 60g. (E)
833 Cast brass
circular ashtray with central pillar bearing enamelled badge of The
Birmingham Guild Ltd, founded in 1817. Back of pillar has good scroll
detail. 147mm dia x 155 high. (C)
4923 Elkington & Co
Ltd were very proud of their range of cookware made from solid nickel with a
casing of copper. This promotional miniature saucepan, or brandy warmer,
has a very prominent full-size maker’s mark. Saucepan diameter 65mm (2½”).
4062 Cap badge of
crossed hammers with motto suffix for the precious metals refiners,
'Johnson, Matthey and Co Ltd'. The back has a handle soldered at the top to
convert it to horse brass shape. Height 80mm (3¼").
The firm was formed by Percival Norton Johnson in 1817 and
moved to a head office in Hatton Garden in 1822. They expanded gradually
and by the 1950s had manufacturing locations in Harlow, Wembley, Royston and
abroad. Besides their big range of precious metals they had a secondary
copper refinery in Enfield and rolled copper blocks to strip inlaid with
precious metal contact materials at Harlow.
8471 Johnson Matthey
coined copper plaque with crossed hammers surrounded by ‘J.M.& Co. Ltd.
London’. The size is 33 x 20mm (1¼ x ¾”), representing one of the smaller
precious metal ingots.
8111 A good example
of promotional miniaturisation is provided by this Pyrene extinguisher.
It bears the simple but effective message ‘Pyrene Kills Fire – Saves
Life’. The message be true but not so the
cigarettes themselves! Height 130mm.
(5¼”). The pump extinguisher was invented in
Scotland but was first financed and made in New York and Delaware in 1907.
While the original filling of carbon tetrachloride is not now allowed, the
company makes many types of extinguishers to suit industry and domestic
properties and all forms of transport.
oval ashtray that was on display in shops selling Hoover vacuum cleaners
made in the classic art deco factory situated on the North Circular Road,
London. It consists of two hot stampings joined with solder. The underside
shows traces of previous silver plate now long since polished off the top.
Width 115mm (4½”)
8860 One of a pair
of brass fireside spill holders promoting The Fletcher Russell Gas Co.,
Warrington, who made gas cooking stoves and heating radiators. The columns
tubes are reeded and soldered to the pressed raised hexagonal brass bases
lettered with 'Fletcher Russell & Co. Ltd. * Gas*. They probably date
sometime between 1910 and 1935. They are 90mm (3½") tall with columns of
50mm (2") outside diameter. The bases are 100mm (4") across flats and well
worn at the top corners through over-enthusiastic polishing. Thomas
Fletcher switched from making tools for dentistry to the manufacture of gas
cooking stoves and heating radiators and merged with Alexander and William
Russell around 1895 in Warrington. The company lasted
on its own until merging with Radiation Ltd in the 1950s and later into TI
2015 Notepaper box
made of sheet brass complete with partly open front and extra flap inside
the lid to act as a paper rest. Art nouveau pattern on lid and promotional
message for Samuel M Langston Co, Camden and New Jersey ' Leadership by
Design'. Width 145mm (5 3/4"), weight 250g (9oz), Underneath initialled 'EAH'
11/15/65, Makers mark 'Grammes, Allentown, PA.'
paper knife issued by the Bessemer Galvanizing Works in Birmingham Alabama
who specialised in galvanising work on electrical power pylons and similar
Non-sparking copper-aluminium alloy hammer by Ampco.
5422 Austral Bronze
Co., Australian Trade Mission Commemorative 1962 Copper/bronze dish (or
small plate) 5" (12cm) in diameter. The medallion centre piece shows a ship
passing under Sydney Harbour Bridge, with the words "Australian Trade
Mission 1962, M.V. Chandpara" and on the reverse side it reads, "Rolled by
The Austral Bronze Company PTY Limited, Australia. 112. Manufactured from
Austral Copper and Austral Gilding Metal, 206."
Wire Company Paper Clip Mini Holder 1931. Advertising mini copper clip
board. It is marked, The Ludlow-Saylor Wire Company, 1856-75th
Anniversay-1931, St. Louis. It measures 5 3/4" x 4" and is in very good
condition with some stain spots on the board.
5564 ARCO, Atlantic
Richfield Corporation, formed by merger in 1966 and acquired Anaconda Copper
and Brass in 1977. It bought the 'Observer' British newspaper group in the
same year. 3" x 2 1/4" SOLID BRASS BELT BUCKLE Hand Made in 1983 by
Anacortes Brass Works Ltd. Anacortes, Wash USA, established 1970.
6360 Lockerbie &
Wilkinson brass ash tray c1880 shows Lockerbie and Wilkinson's 'Alexandra'
Works in Tipton, Birmingham. The company is still going, and - remarkably -
is still at the same address, even though they apparently now occupy just
one small part of what was once an expansive manufacturing site. The
company is now best known for its abattoir and meat processing equipment,
but during the nineteenth century they were renowned for manufacturing brass
toilet locks (particularly for the railways) and cast-iron items, including
huge quantities of cast iron gutters and drain pipes. Given their background
in brasswork, it's highly likely that this ash tray was made by L&W
themselves. The embossing around the rim is beautifully crisp, and the
rather worn image in the base is clear and crisply detailed if viewed on the
reverse. The factory is shown surrounded by a quaint wooden fence, and
behind it a majestic range of mountains shows how far we have all come!
Looking on the reverse, you can make out a little hand cart in the yard, and
a George flag fluttering on the smoky breeze. A classic piece of Victorian
advertising brasswork, and surely a treasure for all engineering historians,
railway collectors, or L&W employees of today! Measures 5 1/4" (13.5cm)
6890 Pressed copper
ashtray made by Tiptaff of Birmingham to promote ‘The Windsor, The Ideal
Breakfast Room Grate’ for D Morgan & Sons, The Parade, Cardiff. Diameter
Some souvenirs from other industries
Some commemorative tokens
Many of the early
promotional items were in the form of token coinage. There was great
shortage of low denomination currency since silver coinage was of very light
weight and flimsy. Initially, the ‘Copper Kings’ of the copper
industry saw the opportunity to
fill this gap by issuing copper tokens of good weight in values of ½d and
1d. The tokens were redeemable in bulk by traders at the company accounts
offices or later at nominated banks. This had several advantages for them
since it enabled them to pay their workforce with money instead of truck, it
enabled them to lobby the government very directly for approval for the use
of copper in coinage and it gave them excellent advertising.
Thomas Williams of the
Parys Mine in Anglesey and his ironmaster friend and entrepreneur, John
Wilkinson were among the first in the field and were swiftly followed by
others. The tokens were produced using the new steam powered minting
machinery, mainly in Birmingham near where the currency was wanted. This
avoided the cost of transport from the Royal Mint in London. The first
issues were during the period 1787-1793 and lead eventually to the official
‘Cartwheel’ 1d and 2d coins being officially issued by Matthew Boulton in
There was another surge of need for copper tokens around 1811-13 and there
were then issues by many other organisations.
1800 Cheshire Copper
Halfpenny Token of 1790 issued in Macclesfield and bearing the legend
‘Charles Roe established the copper works 1758. Diameter 28mm (1?”). The
reverse has a depiction of Britannia representing industry with 1790 in the
exergue and ‘Macclesfield Halfpenny surrounding. The rim is impressed
"Payable at Macclesfield Liverpool or Congleton’
7809 Mint badges,
brass lapel stud and lapel/tie pin portraying the logo of the Birmingham
Mint together with the 'H' representing the old mint of Ralph Heaton & Son
founded in 1795 and the 'KN' is for the King's Norton Metal Company. The
lapel or tie pin has a pull off safety lug on the end of the pin - the
circular front measures approx ¾”, same as above, and the pin length is a
little under 2”. Both the badges are 19mm in diameter. Issue date
6785 Proof medallion
issued in 1989 to commemorate the founding in 1850 of the Birmingham Mint,
the coining press of 1862, the striking press and the mint building of
1862. By 1989 the mint had passed from the ownership of Ralph Heaton & Son
to IMI (Imperial Metal Industries or ICI Metals Division). Approx 37mm (1½”)
7645 Coins set in the
centre of trays are not unusual but this might have been one of the first.
Inside the periphery of the 115mm (4½”) diameter tray is ample information:
‘Impression from a die made by Matthew Boulton at Soho 1804 and used to
convert silver dollars captured by the English in the Spanish war. The image
of Carolus III being thus defaced’
Roe Cheshire Copper Halfpenny Token of 1790 Cheshire Copper Halfpenny Token
of 1790 Diameter --- 1.1/8th inches. Construction --- Copper. Condition ---
Very fine plus with nice toning. Obverse Description --- Detailed bust
portrait of Georgian gentleman facing right, within the legend "CHARLES ROE
ESTABLISHED THE COPPER WORKS 1758". Reverse Description --- Female seated
(Industry?), operating windlass and holding gearing cog. Around the edge are
the words "MACCLESFIELD HALFPENNY". The date of 1790 is shown in the
exergue. Rim Type --- Impressed with the words "PAYABLE AT MACCLESFIELD
LIVERPOOL OR CONGLETON".
1809 North Wales
copper halfpenny token 1793 issued with copper from the Parys Copper Mine. Obverse: Hooded bust of a Druid to the left,
twenty-nine acorns in wreath. Reverse: Cypher of “RNG” with date “1793”
above: “NORTH WALES HALFPENNY”. Edge
inscription: “PAYABLE IN LONDON BRISTOL & LANCASTER”. Issuer unknown. Good
collectable condition with minor pitting, see scan. D&H North Wales No: 3b.
Diameter 29mm. Listed in Dalton & Hamer as “RR”, very rare.
1810 Welsh Parys
Mine Company (Anglesey) copper penny token 1788. Obverse: Hooded bust of a Druid to the left.
Twenty-seven acorns in wreath. Reverse: Cypher of “PMCo” (Parys Mine
Company) with date: “1788” above: “WE
PROMISE TO PAY THE BEARER ONE PENNY”. Edge inscription: “ON DEMAND IN LONDON
LIVERPOOL OR ANGLESEY”. The Parys Mine Company was first to issue tokens,
for payment to their workers, and general circulation, ahead of John
Wilkinson the Shropshire Ironmaster. This precipitated the development of
the whole commercial token series as catalogued by Dalton & Hamer. Nice
collectable condition with some edge bruising, better than scan. D&H
Anglesey No: 165. Diameter 33mm.
1813 Bristol token
1813 473 Walthamstow
token of 1813 with lion on reverse, Britannia with oak leaves on obverse.
The copper mill in Walthamstow, now a suburb in North East London, was
established to provide local fabrication facilities using copper sheet from
Birmingham. This halfpenny trade token, dated 1813, was issued by the
British Copper Company, which had an office in London, but had smelting
works at Landore, Swansea (Wales), and rolling mills at Walthamstow (Essex, England).
It is catalogued as Withers 610 and Davis (Essex) 39. On the obverse is a
lion walking, and on the reverse is the seated Britannia within an oak
wreath. This token is copper, 28.5mm in diameter; and is in nice VF+
condition, with traces of red.
token 1811 Devon Mines penny token. This is number 1136 in standard work by
Withers "British Copper Tokens 1811-1820". Rated as very rare, which means
"few specimens available". An earlier reference work by W. J. Davis, this is type
Devon 25. Thick flan, engrailed edge, Has a couple of minor knocks on
obverse (see scan) otherwise in Fine condition. Diameter 28mm.
2062 Bristol Brass
& Copper Co. Conder Penny 1811 English Bristol Brass & Copper Co.,
(Somerset) copper penny token 1811. Obverse: Text: “B B & COPPER CO”,
surrounded by, “ONE PENNY PAYABLE AT BRISTOL
SWANSEA & LONDON”. Reverse:
Shield with sailing ship and castle crested with crossed arms above holding
scales and a serpent, “VIRTUE ET INDUSTRIA
1811”. Diagonally milled edge.
Nice collectable condition, see scan. Withers No: 441, Davis Somerset No:
85. Diameter 33mm.
2161 Bristol Brass
and Copper Co penny token, 1811
2175 600 G. Britain,
1811, 1P Rose Token produced by Rose Copper Company in 1811 and valid in
Swansea and Birmingham. 30mm diameter
2258 Cheadle Copper
2260 Devon Mines
2338 1812 VF Gr Br
1P Token Birmingham. 'Copper Token One Penny' round a horse, Prince of
Wales feathers surrounded by 'Birmingham & South Wales 1812'.
2340 Rose Copper
1811 Birmingham and Swansea Token
2388 18th Century
Halfpenny Trade Token 1791 This is a 18th. Century halfpenny trade token,
dated 1791, being a Druid's Head Cornish halfpenny. Please see scan. The
piece is in excellent collectable condition about uncirculated. The obverse
shows a druids head within oak wreath. The reverse shows a crowned shield
with pellets. The legend here states CORNISH COPPER HALF AN OUNCE 1791.
Calendar medal by Peter Kempson, 1814, 39mm diameter.
6861 British Empire
Exhibition commemorative coin
Some commemorative tokens
This article shows a
small collection of industrial souvenirs that were very meaningful when
produced to both those who gave and received them. They mean much less to
those who were not associated with the industries but do give a substantial
insight when the industrial celebrations and the production techniques are
considered. There must be a great danger of them being discarded. So far
as is known, no attempt has been made to describe them elsewhere but they
will form a chapter in the long promised book. The author would be very
glad of comments and to hear of other examples of copper and brass souvenirs
by email through vin(at)oldcopper.org. (Please use ‘@’ instead of (at) to
help avoid spam.)
Library information from
directories in Birmingham Central Library, registered design identities in
directories at the National Archives and personal communications from
Eur Ing Vin Callcut,
CEng, FIMMM spent all his working life with the copper fabricating
industry. He now has a strong interest in domestic copper- and brass-wares
and is responsible for the ‘www.oldcopper.org’ and ‘www.oldcopper.org.uk’
websites of makers’ marks and other information. Vin